Thursday, July 19, 2007

Interview: Esmerelda Oh

Fabulous accessories do not happen every day, and those of us who appreciate the finer prims in life also know that great designers don't happen every day. I had the pleasure of interviewing the owner of Queen Couture, an upmarket boutique showcasing beautiful bags, sunglasses, and very soon, hats. Esmerelda Oh has just opened her flagship store at the LAME designs mall, and she took the time to answer a few questions.


SA: What brought you into SL?

EO: Starting out in The Sims Online as the notorous "Abusive Granny" allowed me to meet many people whom I have made a connection with. After The Sims Online got old and boring, me and my entourage made the transition to Second Life. I was appalled at the people, the buildings, and the lag that consumed everything. I spent many a day protesting sloppy building and unattractive things, then left. Recently, I have made my comeback and reconnected with a few lost friends and I am now much more pleased.


SA: How long were you in SL before you realised you wanted to create?

EO: I can remember in my Second Life infancy how much I wanted to create things and bring beauty to the players. It was only recently that I began working with objects and really making the wheels of design turn. I owe it to my friend, Kimbery Casanova, who inspired me and kept me from giving up.


SA: What was the hardest part of starting your own business?

EO: The hardest part would be finding and paying for the perfect location to display your designs. At the moment I am a small boutique located in the famed "Lame Designs Mall". I feel that it is truly the perfect place to start a name for myself, and I have made great alliances with many great designers there. Finding the funds for starting your business is very challenging, so location is key.


SA: Do you have a design philosophy?

EO: Discover yourself, and fashion will discover you.



SA: Do you seek out inspiration or let it find you?

EO: Inspiration is all around us, we must meet it half way.


SA: Who/what inspires you?

EO:I get inspiration from all things in History. I believe that in order to move on you must take parts of past events and incorporate them in your personalized designs.


SA: Who are your favourite SL designers?

EO: My all time favorite designs are The sisters of Paper Couture. I see a lot of myself in them, and find myself identifying with their designs and lifestyle.


SA: What do you find the most tedious about SL fashion/accessory designing?

EO: I am a perfectionist. I will not rest until they designs are flawless and no prim is out of place. The lines must line up, color must be perfect. I find creating or finding texture to be by far the most difficult and tedious part of design.


SA: What is your favourite item in the store right now?

EO: Designs, like children, should never be favored above another. A good designer would not have a favorite because each peice should hold its own place in his or her heart. I do not release an item until I am satisfied completely with it, therefore all of my designs are equally perfect to me.


SA: What will you be releasing in the upcoming weeks?

EO: In the upcoming weeks, expect to see hats and jewelry. I have not yet perfected the art of clothing, so I ask of all my fans to join the Mailing Group I have created so you will not miss important dates or announcements.


SA: What else do you enjoy about SL besides creating?

EO: Shopping and interaction with others.


SA: Anything you would like your customers to know?

EO: I hope that my designs will inspire others as much as they have inspired me.



Esmerelda's creations are indeed of similar quality as Paper Couture, the simple elegance and sophisticated designs make her bags and clutches high fashion must-haves. While she is still filling her store, some of the first releases I had the opportunity to snap up I have shown here.


These items are already favourites of mine, the oversized sunglasses I can't take off. As Esmerelda stated, she has a mailing list for new releases and her store at LAME designs mall is open. I'm looking forward to her upcoming hat creations and what comes in the future from Queen Couture.

Visit In-world:
Queen Couture

No comments: