Tuesday, July 10, 2007

In the Beginning..

With all the great fashion popping up all over SL, I decided to keep my record of shopping events so that the fabulous designers creating these pieces are recognized and appreciated. I have been in SL since April 2007, so I'm a total bebe, and while online communities were foreign to me before, I've taken to this crazy SL like a freakin fish. I've been learning a lot, so while this blog is up for all to see, I have not had professional experience in reviewing, and have based the posts on this blog on my sole opinion.

I have been reading all the fashion blogs from the very beginning, loving every minute, and with the dramas of review policies and just plain rumours that flare up every once in a while, I'd like to state my guidelines and where I stand on a few points. Just to cover my ass.

Statement of Intention

1.
With every review the reader will be notified whether the item(s) are from friends, are review copies, what they are and where they came from. Also I will include slurls for user- friendliness!

2. I do not and will not ever ask/request for a free sample/review copy. I wanna blog it, I will buy it. I do accept review folders, but never at my solicitation, and I do reserve the right not to blog something that is sent.

3. I will communicate openly with designers about reviews/anything, you will be notified when I have received a folder, and when you have been blogged. I will not say for sure I will choose not to blog something, but I will let you know if I decline to blog your item(s). If you don't get a response in a timely manner, please ask for an update, I'm a humble creature and will kick myself for making you wait.

4. I am a designer myself, and will never blog about my own stuff. That's just egomaniacal and looks dumb. I have my store listed in links but will never use this site to promote my own business.

5. I will be honest. While I may decline to blog if I believe the item is that bad, if I notice basic design flaws, or anything that doesn't match up to what you see/believe, I will make it known. But please don't get me wrong, I will not scream from the highest hill purely negative drivel to further my own self-importance. I know how great it is to get a good review, I also know there are people out there looking to blog-bash and patronize others. That just ain't me. I'm still learning photoshop! There are just picky people out there, and I'm one of 'em. :D

6. I am always approachable and responsible for my opinions. It does not give me free licence to spin all kinds of bullshit, and if you read something you feel the need to call me on, do it! Leave a comment (although please make it constructive, I am always trying to improve), see me in-world, I'm more than happy to discuss any issue!

Okay, enough preaching, on with the fun stuff! Coming up soon will be the first of hopefully many reviews, stay tuned.

Eyva :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay a fashion blog by Eyva :D I love the logo picture!

You know, I didn't know there were all these rules, I hope I haven't done anything wrong or that would offend anyone. I blog the things I like and my blog is more a way for me to keep track of the things I come across. I didn't even know up till now people *ask* or get things to review, I agree with you, I would never expect things, as I told you, I think designers work hard and should be compensated for their work. I enjoy buying things in SL very much. I can't let people take that joy from me :)

Eyva Matova said...

I was thinking whether or not to put up the list, I have seen on other blogs whole articles about blogger ethics, and they seem to draw a lot of responses about readers questioning bloggers honesty and motivations for reviewing certain things.

I just wanted to state upfront and get all that crap out of the way, so people have an immediate idea of my motivations for doing a fashion blog.

Yours is a blog I love, because of those reasons you stated, you've found something you like an want to share it with as many people as you can, with pure appreciation for designers in mind, not freebies, and I have that goal in mind too.

We're all a bunch of devotees, we should form a religion. :D